J&B Recycling has echoed a warning by a local council against putting electrical items in the wrong waste bin, after a spate of wagon blazes.
The most recent blaze happened in Redcar with others happening at Redcar and Cleveland Council’s transfer station in Warrenby and similar wagon fires in Marske and Billingham. The warning was made on Redcar and Cleveland Council’s social media channels, which read: “Unfortunately our staff have been put at risk today following the fourth fire in a refuse vehicle in as many months. “The source of the latest fire, in Redcar, is again understood to be an electrical product incorrectly placed in a waste bin. “Please help us spread the word that electronics and batteries should not be placed in either household or recycling bins. Aerosols can be recycled only if they are fully discharged. “The consequences of the recent fires could have been far worse.”
Large household appliances such as ovens, fridges, and washing machines currently make up over 40% of WEEE but there are large volumes of other equipment such as computers, TVs, kettles, electrical tools, digital watches, mobile phones, electronic toys and medical devices.
Mark Penny, Commercial Manager at J&B Recycling, said: “We agree wholeheartedly with Redcar and Cleveland Council on this matter. There have been many incidents of this not only across the Tees Valley but also across the UK.
“A quick Google search shows just how prevalent the issue is becoming.
“The best place to dispose of electronics and batteries is at a household waste facility where the item will be safely disposed of for recycling or you can dispose of used batteries at most supermarkets.
“At J&B we provide a range of collection services for hazardous and non-hazardous electrical waste and recycle in a safe, authorised, and environmentally acceptable manner.
“We urge the general public to heed Redcar and Cleveland Council’s warning and take responsibility to safely dispose of electrical waste and batteries.”
For more information on J&B’s Waste Electrical and Electronic equipment (WEEE) recycling service, click here.