29 November 2017


The festive season is upon us, and for many during the Christmas period levels of waste go up considerably.

To give you a helping hand we’ve put together a handy guide for what can and can’t be recycled this Christmas.


In the run up to Christmas


Old Christmas decorations and Lights

As you prepare for another year of decking the halls, it might mean getting rid of some of the old decorations from previous years.

Old artificial trees, baubles, tinsel and strings of lights are not recyclable and should go in to the general waste bin.



Most food, drink and present packaging can be recycled. If it is cardboard, glass bottles, tins, cans, or plastic bottles, it can go in to the recycling bin. You can also recycle any clean aluminium foil and cartons, as well as the usual newspapers and magazines if they are put into the correct containers.


By recycling as much as possible, it will save you room in your general waste container for any waste that can’t be recycled.


Food Waste

Food Waste can only be recycled if it is collected separately to your other waste. If you have a food waste collection service then please make the most of it. If you don’t, all food waste must go in the household rubbish/general waste bin, not the mixed recycling bin.


Wrapping paper

At the moment, we cannot recycle wrapping paper. A lot is of the shiny metallic variety, or are made of plastic, metal, or a mix of the two. These types cannot be recycled and mixing them in with newspaper, magazines etc, can cause serious problems later down the line.


After Christmas


Christmas cards

When the cards come down from the mantelpiece only plain cards, along with their envelopes, can go in the recycling bin.

Any cards with glitter, plastic coated holograms, or shiny foil must go in to the general waste.

If the glitter, holograms, or foil are restricted to the front of the card, you could always tear off the back and recycle that part only.


Real Christmas Trees

When the fun is over and the tree comes down, real trees can be recycled at local authority household waste and recycling centres, composting facilities, or via commercially ran waste transfer sites that accept “green” waste. Alternative, if you have one, you can put real trees in to your garden waste for collection. If you don’t, it must go in your general waste bin, not your recycling bin.



As well as processing wastes collected by Councils J&B Recycling offer a range of services to businesses to help with the above and can collect via a range of containers including wheelie bins, skips and roll on off containers:


  • General Waste
  • Dry Mixed Recyclables (DMR) also known as Comingled Recyclables
  • Glass Bottles
  • Food Waste
  • Waste Electricals (WEEE)
  • Bulky Waste
  • Construction Wastes
  • Hazardous Waste

If you would like to make an enquiry or if you require further information please contact us.

Share on social media: